Saturday, September 5, 2009

yup... found her...

i saw you for the second time.
you shocked me with being living proof
of the image i have
when i write love poems to girls that aren't there.

you weren't supposed to be real.

i wanted to tell you.
i didn't.
it's hard to see,
but I'm really shy underneath.

i'll keep my upper body firm,
and place my hands in the position,
because i'm just shy.
i'm not stupid.
you don't pass up a chance to dance.
especially if she's what you've been talking about
all those poems
all those years

poetic in both mind and body
she can dance
move her hips through song
keeping rhythm
entrancing you in imagery
you couldn't hope to escape

her hips
speak volumes
as her words
spin me across the floor
i thought i was supposed to lead
but it's been a long day
and I'm really just trying not to fuck up

I'm really terrible at the merengue
because i dance with my shoulders
years of
awkward geek at the dance
dancing with pantomime
the lawnmower

not that it matters
I'll keep my upper body firm,
and place my hands in the position,
because I'm just shy.
I'm not stupid.
you don't pass up a chance to dance.
especially if she's what you've been talking about
all those poems
all those years

she's got the red hair
she's got cowboy boots
and I'm trapped in a stare
trying to concentrate.

what more would you want?
than a smile that flashes
friendly
playful
with hands
firm
soft
that perfect height in boots
to be just a smidgen shorter than you
ideal to dance.

she asked me
this is what kills me
because, I mentioned how i loved to dance
and she asked me
when I thought
she was talking to someone else
surrounded in a room
with people I admire
people I awe
and she still looked at me
and we got into position

keep my upper body firm,
move with my hips
i'm just shy, not stupid.
you don't pass up this kind of chance
she is the living embodiment
of my love poems
to women so perfect
they cannot exist

it took only one night
the second time we met
and you proved me wrong

you looked great tonight
i didn't get the courage to say that
when i was staring you in the face
didn't get a chance to say this poem
before i had to leave

i did thank you for the dance
i meant it
just like i mean this
dancing with you
was a chance i couldn't miss

No comments:

Post a Comment