Tuesday, September 8, 2009

inspired by how Jon Sands signed his chapbook for me

Fact, i make potato salad better than anyone you have ever met.
This is because I am living potato salad.
I am made of potato, egg, pickle, mayo, onion.
Potato skin hearty as i flake off the eggshell underneath to hold sweet yolk.
i am mayo bonded with sour pickle taste.
my heart is onion, if you cut it, you'll cry.
i am barbecue food. i belong next to burger, hot dog, chips.
have me on a summers day
share me with friends, family, strangers

many do not like me
i am too much starch
too much fat
i am filling
so let me fill you up

i am mixed in a bowl
ingredients thrown together

i taste better when you mix me by hand
knead me through your fingers
get what holds me together
in between
sticky
feel my different textures
smell it

potato salad


i never eat it...
because i'm made of potato salad
but i'll make more and more of myself
just to make you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment